Thursday, August 6, 2009

Chemo... 2 down, 6 to go!

I enjoyed reading Harry Potter today while spending 3 hours at the doctor's getting chemo treatment #2. I can't believe it took me this long to read them! I love JK Rowling's writing style. So to all you people who hounded me for years to read her books - you were right!

When I came home from chemo, I found a care package waiting for me from my genious (seriously, her intelligence intimidates me) cousin Amanda. She mailed me a card that made me cry, and a stuffed pig with a paper tied around its neck that had pictures of the pig with various other stuffed pigs, noting which kinds of comforting skills it had learned from each of the other pigs. Anyway, it made me laugh. She also mailed me a book to read and a cute little notebook to write in. Thanks Amanda!

I also had this crazy drive to write when I came home, so I laid in bed and worked on my book for a few hours (I've been writing a novel for the last couple years). I don't know if it was the chemo drugs or pure inspiration, but idea after idea just kept coming to me. I also found it was a wonderful way to think about something else besides the nausea and overall yuckiness I feel. But I can't help but wonder if I'm just delusional, and I will read it in a couple days going, "what the crap was I thinking?"

Keith is taking care of the kids and my mom and sister cleaned my house today. A friend in our neighborhood and twice survivor of breast cancer, Kim Blanchard, brought us dinner. I am so grateful to have family and friends to help us through this. I know I am blessed, lucky, even spoiled. The windows of heaven are opened, and we don't have room enough to receive the abundance of blessings that are being poured upon us.

And I just have to say again - thank you for your prayers and support. I now have a firm testimony that God answers our prayers when we pray for other people, because I have been the recipient of the blessings that come from other people's prayers. I can literally feel a difference, and the best way to describe it is that my burdens feel lifted, I feel at peace and comforted, and every need is being met. So just know that your prayers are never in vain. God hears us and answers us!

Also, thanks for all the nice comments you have made about my blog. It is very therapeutic for me to share my experience with other people, I guess because it makes me feel like I am not alone. So thanks for reading it and being one of the people who understands a little about what I'm going through. I feel like the more people I can share this experience with, the easier the burden will be to bear.

Now I'm going to go take some more meds because I feel like throwing up. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you like writing your blog, because I love reading it. And I seriously can't believe it has taken you this long to read Harry Potter!! Which book are you on? I love those books. My 8 year old is reading them right now and is on book 4.

    I hope you get feeling better quickly after this round of treatment. If not... then I hope you are at least able to write a lot in your novel.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, you are amazing. I went to the Temple tonight with you in my mind and heart. We are fasting and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete