Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Courage is Not Mine

I’ve always considered myself a fairly brave person. But these past couple weeks I’ve learned that I’m not as brave as I thought.

With each chemo treatment, it’s gotten more and more difficult to recover from the side effects. It’s a bit terrifying to watch and feel my body react to the deadly chemicals that are running through it. The nausea is constant, and even though I try to eat enough to give my body the nutrients it needs to rebuild, I can’t. My heart pounds for nine days straight, trying to deliver oxygen to my body with a fraction of my usual red blood cells. I have a sore throat and mouth sores, and my skin color alternates between pale yellow and green. I have no energy, and I can relate to the toys on the floor with generic drained batteries that strain to function and sound demon-possessed when they try to speak. The drug they give me to rebuild my blood-counts causes bone pain, and I feel pain in places I didn’t know it was possible to have pain. I have phlebitis in my left arm because apparently my veins don’t like poison. And so I lie awake at night, wondering how much more my body can take.

So through all this, I have discovered that I am not brave. If I was, I would face my trials head-on with a smile, or at least with a firm scowl of determination. Instead, I have been whimpering every time I feel pain, and breaking down into tears every time I think about my next chemo treatment and all the ones to follow. At times I am more afraid of the treatment for cancer than the cancer itself. I feel like a terrified, sobbing child who has just been informed they’ll be going to the doctor for a shot, who is inconsolable even after the parent reassures them that the shot will only hurt for a little bit and will keep them from getting sick. Yep, I’m a wimp.

So after I broke down in tears for the millionth time yesterday (because my arm was hurting from the phlebitis), I knelt down and asked God for strength, to help me be brave and face all that I have to go through with courage. When I finished praying, I went to the scriptures to learn how to be more brave. I found my answer in the following passages, and an overwhelming peace came over me as I read them.

Deuteronomy 20: 1-4 : When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies [cancer], and seest [needles, nausea, fatigue, infection, deadly chemicals, pounding heart], be not afraid of them: for the Lord thy God is with thee. … And it shall be, when ye are come nigh unto the battle … let not your heart faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified … for the Lord your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

Deuteronomy 31: 6,8 : Be strong and of good courage, fear not … for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with the; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

As I was reading these scriptures, the song “How Firm a Foundation” came into my head. It’s never been one of my favorite hymns, but I decided to look it up and read the words. When I read verses 3-7, I was brought to tears by the spirit I felt and I knew that God was speaking directly to me.

Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous omnipotent hand.

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o’erflow,
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake!

Remembering that God is with me, watching over me and protecting me, will give me the strength and courage I need to get through these next few months of chemo, surgery, and radiation. Courage is God’s, and he lends it to us if we put our lives in his hands and trust that he will take care of us.

Now everyone knows what a wimp I am! Okay, maybe not a wimp… I am just “tender-hearted.” But thank goodness for God's courage.

9 comments:

  1. Oh I wonder when your posts won't make me cry! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are much stronger than you think. I pray for you each night. May the Lord continue to carry you when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you wouldn't be terrified of the treatments - and knowing that you've got more of them to come. You're certainly not a wimp. In moments when fear threatens to overtake us I think the tricky part is BELIEVING the Lord when he says he will not fail us. Sometimes in life it takes everything we have - more than we knew we had. We'll keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what you do is alot more important most times than how you feel. What you are doing - taking care of your family, sticking with your treatments, keeping in touch with God, reaching out, not getting bitter, those are the things that are brave. It don't know that it matters so much what sound you make (crying, rejoicing, whimpering,low grunts, bird calls, whatever) while you are doing those things. Just doing them has to count for alot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry! I think that you are so brave. I can't imagine...

    I love the song, How Firm a Foundation. All of the primary children are singing the first and third verses this year for the primary program. The third verse is my favorite.

    Lead Kindly Light is another song I sing to myself when I'm feeling despair. (Mostly just the first verse). Another one is Be Still my Soul.(the first verse also).

    Sarah I think about you all the time. You ARE incredibly brave. You are fighting! You are still in my prayers. I'm so sorry you have to go through this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautifully tender post! With tears streaming down my face, I tell you that you are brave and loved and courageous and incredible. And the best of all is that you have a loveing Heavenly Father at your side. My faith, love and prayers continue to be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you know who I am, but I am Keith's cousins wife. I am Zack Beard's wife. He is John and Myra's son. We live in Seattle, Washington, and we just recently heard about your cancer. I just finished reading your blog (need to grab some Kleenex to dry my eyes so I can type), and have to say that I find your courage and faith throughout your trial amazing!! You seem like you have a wonderful attitude despite such tough circumstances and seem like a strong, loving, mother and person! If we could all have such faith in the lord in our times of trial, life would seem a bit easier to bear. You have been an inspiration to me! Something I have definately been lacking lately. Thank you for sharing your life and hardships with others as it gives strength and encouragement to those around you! We will pray for you and your family, and wish you all the blessings, strength, and love from Keith's other side of the family!
    Sincerely, Arianne Beard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another note from the Beard side of the family. I think we have only met a few times. I am the wife of John and Myra's oldest son, Chad. Obviously we just heard what you have been going through (explains my post and Arianne's). So sorry to hear about your battle with cancer. I found it amazing to read you feel you are not courageous. Your courage, faith and beautiful spirit shine through on your blog. Thank you for being willing to share with all of us, and for putting what is truly important into perspective. What a beautiful example you are for anyone reading your blog but most importantly your friends and family and a wonderful example for your boys. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. We are sending love and Heavenly Fathers comfort, peace and strength from Washington.
    Keep up the fight!
    Sandra Beard

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so thankful to have been able to be there with you to feel your strong and dignified spirit and see your patience in affliction. You are an example to everyone who knows you; how to go thru trials, and appreciate the glorious help that comes from the Master Healer. Your beautiful family is proof that the Lord does love you and with give you peace and comfort. Yes the little boys are all boy. But the example of their father and mother will turn them into
    incredably strong men. Peace be with you dear Sarah. Thank you for your love and sweetness to me.

    ReplyDelete