Friday, October 16, 2009

No more Taxol

The good news is, my last two chemo treatments should be a "cake walk" (exact words used by my doctor). The bad news is, my chemo treatments have to be extended for 2 more weeks, for 2 reasons:

Reason #1: I couldn't have my treatment today because my white blood cell count was too low, so treatment #7 has been postponed until next friday.

Reason #2:
The allergic reaction I had to my last taxol treatment was bad enough that my doctor decided to switch to a different drug for my last two treatments. The new drug (can't remember the name of it, but it is in the taxol family) has minimal side effects (hence the promised "cake walk") and is actually more effective than Taxol. But it can only be given every three weeks instead of two weeks, which pushes my final treatment date to November 13th.

It's okay though - as long as I feel good and can function like a normal person, it doesn't really matter that I have to be in chemo phase for two extra weeks.

5 comments:

  1. Wahooo, You will "cake walk" through these and be yourself by the holidays. I hope the next treatments really are as promised. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary about the allergic reaction but if you are going to get a better drug I guess it's worth it. 2 more weeks! yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve a "cake walk"!!!!!! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ditto what cccc said. You do deserve a "Cake walk".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a cake walk and eat some, too! Hopefully your appetite is coming back! It seems like you have been going through this for a year...but, it is comforting to know that your battle will soon be conquered. You are on my mind constantly! Love, Monica.

    ReplyDelete