Friday, July 24, 2009

Seriously, a wig?

I've often driven by wig shops and wondered to myself, "How do they stay in business? Who buys wigs?" Well, yesterday afternoon, I walked into a wig shop and realized that it is people like me who keep them in business. Normal people who lose their hair, who happen to want to continue looking normal. I went with Keith, and I probably tried on at least 20 wigs. Short, long, brown, blonde (we thought it would be funny for me to walk into sacrament meeting next week wearing a long blonde wig). We finally decided on a medium-length, brown wig with some highlights. I still have my real hair, but it is supposed to fall out within two weeks. I also ordered some scarves today online since I haven't felt up to getting out of bed.

I explained to my 4-year-old that my hair was going to fall out, and he said, "Well, you'll look weird, but you'll still be pretty." It seriously made me start crying. He is such a sweet little boy. He has been bringing me drinks, and more drinks. I have 5 cups of water on my nightstand because I can't bare to turn him away when he wants to help.

This whole experience still seems so surreal. I never saw my life going this way. I knew I would have trials, but it was always the "other" people who got cancer. It has completely changed my perspective on life. I will never again take my blessings for granted, and I will be living each day to its fullest, seeking each moment for the guidance of a loving Heavenly Father, and doing all I can to become the person he wants me to be.

3 comments:

  1. This whole thing is still surreal to me too. I can't believe it!

    I guess the nice thing about the wigs, is you can change your entire look with a wig. Maybe long blonde hair isn't such a bad idea. It might spice up some other areas of your life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little boy sounds like a doll. And you will still be pretty even if your hair does fall out. We had a lady in our ward go through breast cancer about 5 years ago and she got tired of the wig and just wore the scarves. Nobody even noticed, we got so used to seeing her in her pretty scarves. I think eveyrone is different and you just have to do what makes you the most comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, I came across your blog through my friend Stacy's. I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer. It is a life-changing thing. Three close family members are suffering from it right now. I will post the link to my aunt Katie's blog. She is also a young mother with breast cancer. I know she can share more enlightenment on what her experience has been like. I wish you and your cute family all the best. Here is the link to her blog.

    homeworksatthehansens.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete